Friday, March 22, 2013


MUSIC IN MILAN
 
 
DAY 4
 
THE ROOF OF THE DUOMO
 
Thursday afternoon we were to have a tour of La Scala, but we were bumped in favor of some Milanese VIPs and could not do this, unfortunately.  However, the in-detail tour at Ansaldo gave us a lot of insight into the workings of the opera house.
 
 
Therefore, I took the opportunity to go to the roof of  Duomo on this beautiful, clear afternoon.  I learned that the Symphony from La Scala played up here one summer night!  Dizzying.   Here are some photos of what I saw up there:
 





 
And I could see the Alps, faintly ....
 
And the ants below!!
 
It was fun to come up here and be surrounded by centuries old sculptures smiling to God.
 
 
When I first wrote about this day, I forgot to include our evening activity:  we went again to La Scala to hear Kathia Buniatishvili, a Russian pianist, perform Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2  with the Filarmonica della Scala.  I was in a pretty dead zone as far as the piano was concerned, but those who were in the live zone heard every one of her fluid notes.  Jessie was enthralled.  The orchestra ended the concert with the Symphony No. 3 by Rachmaninoff.  It was a decidedly Russian evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment